KEEPING CONNECTED WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 - Teach Them Diligently

Monday, November 02, 2009

Stories from South Africa - Driving on the "wrong" side of the road.



Stories from South Africa
Driving on the "wrong" side of the road.
 February 7, 2009




I drove to Menlyn Mall (photo on right) today for the first time.  The director Clint and his wife Becky let us take their car to the mall to get away.   It is a stick and since - my dear husband hasn't had a chance to practice on a stick - he can drive one, it is just he is not as skilled - since I drove a stick for years in college - up Duluth, MN hills. - which are very steep!  Think four times as high as the over pass in Aberdeen, SD (where there are only two hills in town and they are both overpasses,) - and I am not kidding!  
                                                                                                                
                                                            




Even though I can drive a stick it would be on the left of me instead of the right and the driver's wheel is also on the right side instead of the left - which is why the stick is on the left.  I thought that a left handed stick would be the hardest part.  That and then driving on the "wrong" or left side of the road with traffic coming at you from the right.  It was quite strange.  


 I was kind of nervous about it.  I prayed yesterday off and on all day that God would just protect us and that it wouldn't be a problem.  Then as I was falling asleep I realized- "Hey, if I was in the Amazing Race they would have no problem letting me drive!  So I thought - I can do this!"  



 I did just fine.  Tony only had to tell me once - "Other side of the road!"  That was only because we were a little turned around and I was turning right to turn around and go the opposite way.  We got to the mall and back just fine.  





No comments: