KEEPING CONNECTED WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 - Teach Them Diligently

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Homeschool Update: Math-U-See Alpha




I remember in my 9th grade Algebra class the teacher had done the examples from the book on the board and then told us to do the practice problems and show our work.  I just didn't get it.  I approached the teachers desk thinking maybe he would explain it another way, but instead he said to me.

"I already showed you what to do look at the examples."

I walked back to my desk and stared at the my math book and just knew that I hated math.  I had never felt confident in math and now I just felt plain stupid.

When I was looking into a math programs I wanted something that would truly help my children not just learn math but understand it in a way that I never did.  Within the homeschooling communities I heard about Math-U-See and decided to check it out.  At that time we had them send us a demo video - now you can see those videos right on the website at:  Math-U-See TV .

It was great and I felt that not only could I present math to my children in a confident way that wouldn't pass on my fear of math, and my children would truly understand math in a way that I never did.  Not to mention, that in the process of teaching it I would gain a new found aptitude in math as well.

My son loves math and it is so fun to see him adding and subtracting numbers in his head - no need to use those fingers and toes.  He thinks and sees the math in his head and sees the answer.  He just finished the second book in the Math-U-See sequence of books.

I highly recommend this math program.  If you are looking for a homeschool math program and want one that truly teaches math - this is the program for you.  If you have a public school child who doesn't get Math.  Work through this program and I am certain they will start to see math in a way that causes them to finally get it.

No comments: