KEEPING CONNECTED WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 - Teach Them Diligently

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lessons from the Kings

I have been using the same bible for quite some time now.  It is a Inductive Study Bible.

I write all over it, circle words that repeat, numbers that might be significant, and a host of other things - as I try to glen from it the wisdom that God has for me.

Part of the Inductive study nature of it - is to have symbols that represent things and colors that tie concepts together.  Like sin is circled in red and names that represent God are marked with a green triangle.  So when you go back to a passage you can quickly see the connections that are being made.

I also write sermon notes in the margins and things I learn from bible studies.  I like this as I can open to a passage and be reminded of a sermon or some nugget I got from a bible study five years ago.

I don't know what I will do when I have finished all the study notes in it.  I might just get another one and start all over again.  Maybe my next one will be in an entirely different language - won't that be fun.

Right now I am looking at 1 and 2 Kings and filling out a chart about who was king, who was their father, king over - Israel or Judah.  How many years they were king for and the basics info of the kind of king they were.

Right now lessons from the King for me is that in life we can go one of two ways and our lives are recorded as thus:

1.  They lived for (   ) numbers of years and did all that was right before the Lord.
2.  They lived for (   ) numbers of years and did all that was evil before the Lord.

There are of course other facts listed about many of them - things they might have done.  But a few of them it just states if they did right or evil.  If they walked in the ways of the Lord or the way of evil.  They might have a blurb if they started out right but then turned.  Or started out evil and then turned toward God.  Their life was listed and in the scheme of the Jewish nation their life was important.

When we look over all of history isn't that what we do.  We remember people either for their wonderful accomplishments or for the evil things they did to or against humanity.

I'm not done with my study on the Kings I am sure there will be other lessons.

Want to try an inductive study yourself - click here for a link to Precept Ministries free inductive Bible Studies.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Precept Bible studies - awesome! Sharon, you and I speak the same language. Can't wait to meet you!